Our medical technology development advisors are responsible for working closely with research teams as well as for bringing together the expertise needed to co-develop each R&D project.
Typically, this expertise includes project management, legal support, regulatory strategy development, networking with industrial partners and patient associations.
What we offer
Dynamic Living lab
TransMedTech adopts a Living Lab approach in all its activities, which mobilizes and brings together researchers, engineers, students, physicians, caregivers, industry partners, government policy makers and patients. We promote transdisciplinary and cross-sectoral collaborative research, open innovation and creativity.
Industry standard processes
The TransMedTech Institute has achieved international ISO 13485: 2016 certification for its quality management system. This certification facilitates the transfer of innovations from academia to industry, accelerating the deployment of medical technologies in the healthcare system.
A personalized and collaborative coaching is offered to research teams in order to support them in their medical technology projects by providing expertise in project management, legal support, development of regulatory strategies, networking with industrial partners, etc.
Innovative and collaborative ecosystem
The TransMedTech ecosystem offers access to interdisciplinary teams, proximity to five hospitals and three universities, the services and expertise of several technology platforms, students working on large-scale R&D projects, international partners, not to mention to the users of the technologies.
The DNA of iTMT is based on a highly functional transdisciplinary and cross-sector open innovation platform where a range of experts and stakeholders are involved in an integrative, inclusive, and collaborative process (Living Lab). The TransMedTech Living Lab and its workspaces are supported by structured processes to accelerate and de-risk the trajectory of innovations and knowledge transfer, for the benefit of patients, the healthcare system and industry. The structured processes from innovation co-development through to maturation (described below) are carried out within the distinctive and unique framework of an ISO 13485-certified quality management system that meets the standards of the medical technology industry and medical technology licensing bodies.
1) The “Unaddressed Needs” space begins with a holistic exploration and assessment of the unmet needs of the healthcare system, the realities of people facing their health problems and the needs of the medical technology industry, and an evaluation of opportunities for innovation. This step triggers a series of actions that take place in the following three areas.
(2) In the “Co-development” space, we carry out a value and market analysis of the need in relation to the added value of the proposed research and innovation (including socio-economic impacts). This search for solutions and expertise is supported by a group of co-developers (entrepreneurs, researchers, healthcare professionals, experts, users, industrialists, students, etc.).
(3) The “Innovation Mobilization and Knowledge Transfer” space aims to validate the implementation potential of health technology innovation (translational and clinical validation) and define the best valorization strategy based on a combination of technological, socio-economic and impact innovation approaches, with regulatory and legal support and mentoring.
(4) The “Impact Assessment” space aims to support access to and analysis of the long-term impact of innovation (underpinned by key performance and outcome indicators). The product or service developed to meet an unmet medical or healthcare need is democratized and scaled up to meet demand (focus on the market and healthcare system) and is based on a model of systemic contribution to the ecosystem.
To submit a project application
To tell us about your needs or to submit a project application, you must first contact the TransMedTech team to establish your eligibility. We may also discuss the support needed to achieve your goals.
Applications may be submitted at any time by researchers, clinicians, health care facility managers or industry partners. The TransMedTech team will assist you in completing the research team to meet the eligibility criteria below, if applicable.
- The project must fall within one of TransMedTech’s medical axes and sectors.
- The principal investigator of the project must hold a regular position at one of the TransMedTech founding institutions, i.e., Polytechnique Montréal, Université de Montréal, HEC Montréal, CHU Sainte-Justine, CHUM, Jewish General Hospital, Institut de cardiologie de Montréal, Institut universitaire de gériatrie de Montréal.
- The team should be composed of at least two researchers from different disciplines (clinician, engineer, biologist, etc.) and involve the relevant stakeholders (patient-partners, users, clinicians, administrators, etc.) for the development and the subsequent steps leading to implantation.