TransMedTech Institute Excellence Scholarships
Fall 2023 Competition
Note: Please read the Fall 2023 TransMedTech Excellence Scholarship Guide carefully before submitting your application.
Please go to the Application tab to download all the documents required to submit an application.
The TransMedTech Institute’s training program aims to train the next generation of researchers and professionals in an open innovation ecosystem that enables them to acquire valuable skills and understand issues related to the development of medical technologies from the idea to the use of the product in the health system. It is intended for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are interested in three types of careers: academic, industrial, entrepreneurial .
The TransMedTech Institute’s ecosystem will allow the trainee to grow professionally and acquire:
- An understanding of the health technology innovation cycle and its challenges (needs of the healthcare community, proof of concept, value of the innovation, regulatory aspects, approval and licensing processes, commercialization, evaluation by health agencies and hospitalization implementation units, social acceptability, etc.).
- Project development methodology based on a Living Lab open innovation approach.
- Project management methods specific to the medtech environment.
The TransMedTech Institute trainees will benefit from a variety of transdisciplinary training activities for the enrichment of their scientific, professional, and personal skills. Trainees will also be invited to participate in major events in the field of medtechs, thus allowing them to develop their future network (e.g., MEDTEQ+ Innovation Summit, Effervescence, etc.). Each trainee will also be supervised by a multidisciplinary and personalized Advisory Committee set up to meet their individual needs and which will support him/her throughout their trajectory to promote his/her professional development according to the profile he/she has chosen (academic, industrial, entrepreneurial).
N.B. No award may end after August 31st, 2026.
Duration of the scholarship:
2 years (for all levels)
From $24 000 / year for master’s level
From $30 000 / year for doctoral level
From $50 000 / year for postdoctoral level
- Student already admitted and enrolled full time in a research-based master’s or doctoral program at a TransMedTech Institute’s member institution*.
- for 2 sessions or less for the master’s degree (Summer 2023 or Fall 2023)
- for 3 sessions or less for the doctorate (Winter 2023, Summer 2023 or Fall 2023)
Student expected to be admitted and enrolled no later than September 1st, 2024, in a full-time master’s or doctoral program at a TransMedTech Institute’s member institution.
Postdoctoral fellow already employed by a TransMedTech Institute’s member institution (for a maximum of 12 months) or person to be hired as a postdoctoral fellow starting no later than September 1st, 2024, and who respects the eligibility rules for postdoctoral fellows of Quebec universities (among which is the prescription that the postdoctoral fellowship must be completed within 5 years after the end of the doctorate) and the administrative rules of the home institution.
- Permanent residents, Canadian students and international students are eligible for the competition.
Eligible research projects
- The project must be part of one of the TransMedTech Institute’s priority technological sectors.
- The supervisor must be a regular full-time professor or researcher at a member institution of the TransMedTech Institute*. However, the co-supervisor may be from a non-member institution of the TransMedTech Institute.
- To ensure the transdisciplinarity of the training program and the projects, the projects must be directed by a director and a co-director from different and complementary disciplines.
* Polytechnique Montréal, CHU Sainte-Justine, Université de Montréal, HEC, CHUM, Hôpital général juif, Institut de cardiologie de Montréal, Institut universitaire de gériatrie de Montréal.
- Quality, relevance, and feasibility of the research project
- Supervision, research location, inter/transdisciplinarity
- Contributions to the TransMedTech technological ecosystem and alignment with its values
- Academic record, research skills and potential
The detailed evaluation grid is presented in the Fall 2023 TransMedTech Excellence Scholarship Guide
Application deadline: Friday, September 29, 2023, 4 p.m. EDT (Montreal time)
For this competition, the number of applications in which a professor serves as director is limited to 2. This also applies to the same tandem (Director/Co-Director) of professors.
For full details of the TransMedTech Institute Excellence Scholarship Competition – Fall 2023, admission requirements and steps to follow, please consult:
The application file must include:
- The online self-identification form – refer to instructions
- Application form with permitted appendices
- University Transcripts
- Reference letters (postdoctoral fellows only)
Applications will be evaluated confidentially, under the auspices of Fonds Recherche Québec, by a committee of external experts according to the criteria and ratings described in Appendix C of the Excellence Scholarship Competition Guide. Rank and level (level of excellence) will be established for each level (master’s, doctorate, postdoctorate).
Candidates will be notified of a decision at the end of the evaluation process (December 2023).
I’m working on a musculoskeletal project under the supervision of Dr. Marie-Lyne Nault. Our project focuses on a new method of repairing menisci, the knee’s shock absorbers, using adhesive hydrogel. This is an innovative new technology where interdisciplinary work is essential.
The Excellence Grant will enable me to carry out this project, and the help and support of Institut TransMedTech is not limited to the financial aspect.
I’m doing my research in Pr. Stephan Reuter’s ‘Plasma Physics and Spectroscopy Laboratory’. My project concerns a medical application of cold physical plasma (plasma jet) to treat chronic wounds. cold physical plasma.
Thanks to the TransMedTech Excellence Grant, I have partnered with Dr. Anie Philip at the Montreal General Hospital.